Friday, June 29, 2007

smile this, bitch.

my good friend jess sent me a great Glamour article which i feel the need to elaborate on.

it talks about the phenomenon known as "bitchface" whereby, if you're a chick, your normal face just isn't good enough -- you have to be smiling 24-7 or else someone, usually a dude, takes it upon themselves to comment on how pissed off you are.

i'm not pissed, guy, it's just my face.

jess, being a cute redhead, often gets the "Smile, Red." comment by random passers by. and one time, as i was strolling through my campus, passing by the ROTC center, some marine or soldier or whatever literally grabbed me and, of course he had a condescending smirk upon his face, said "it's not that bad is it?" and you know, i really wasn't in a bad mood at all. just an average, expressionless mood. but that comment pissed me off so much i stared him in the face and said "actually, i just found out my brand new puppy got eaten by a coyote."

ok, i'm not that quick on my feet. but i can tell you, i was pretty pissed off. i definitely didn't smile at him and remember bitchily snapping free from his grasp.

what do you want from me, world?! should i be constantly skipping down the street leaving a trail of butterflies, hearts, and glitter behind me? fuck that.

i like to live my life pretty apathetically. you can't be happy all the time, cause then when something awesome happens, what do you do? no one would even know. you'd have to be like "guys! something awesome just happened!!" and your friends would be all "really? i couldnt even tell...."

No comments: